Fallen Heroes

Greenville County’s Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Page

The mission of the Memorial Page is to provide family members and law enforcement officers a way show our fallen brethren that WE WILL NOT FORGET.

Below are the names of the Officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the citizens of Greenville County, South Carolina. Click on an officer’s name to learn more about that officer.

Sheriff Robert Maxwell

General Robert Maxwell, 45, the appointed Sheriff of Washington District (which included Greenville, Anderson, Pickens, and Oconee counties) was shot and killed from an ambush on Nov. 10, 1797 while on his way to court. One man was arrested for the killing and was tried and acquitted. Gen. Maxwell became the first law enforcement officer killed in the history of Greenville County and the state of South Carolina and one of the first killed in the history of the United States.

Deputy Marshal Van Buren Hendrix

Van Buren Hendrix, a “special deputy” for the U.S. Marshal, was shot and killed on Feb. 12, 1877, while attempting to arrest an escaped federal convict 15 miles north of Greenville on the Asheville road. His killer was tried but acquitted.

Chief Deputy Marshall R. Springs

Chief Deputy U. S. Marshal Rufus Springs was shot and killed “by parties in ambush” while on a raid on an illegal still near Glassy Mountain in the northern part of Greenville County on April 19, 1878. The killer who had been acquitted for the killing of another U.S. Marshal (Van Buren Hendrix) the year before, was again acquitted.

Officer James Patrick Tucker

Officer James Patrick Tucker, 48, a 16 year veteran of the Greenville Police Dept. was fatally shot on April 12, 1904. He was shot by a drunken night watchman who was angry that the officer had arrested his cook earlier in the day. The killer was in turn fatally wounded by a second officer at the scene and died of his wounds four days later.

Magistrate William Cox

Magistrate William Jerry Cox, 35, of Austin Township in Mauldin was shot and killed by “bootleggers” on May 14, 1904. Both bootleggers were sentenced to death and one was hanged on Nov. 10, 1905.

Officer Willis Foster

Night policeman Willis Foster, 36, of the Greer Police Dept. was shot and killed by bootleggers on July 2, 1904. The bootleggers were charged with murder but were acquitted at trial.

Deputy Eli Pitman

Greenville County Sheriff’s Deputy Eli Pitman was killed in the line of duty on April 28, 1906. This information was lost until April 2007.

Officer Oliver S. Gunnels

Sgt. Oliver S. Gunnels, 62, a 26-year veteran of the Greenville Police Dept. was shot and killed at a Greenville railway station on Feb. 17, 1911 by a man who was in the middle of a “crime spree” that began the day before and continued until his capture in Georgia on Feb. 22 after he shot and killed a railway conductor. The killer was lynched on Feb. 24 at Warrenton, GA.

Deputy Sheriff John Lindsey

Deputy Sheriff John Flemon Lindsey, 33, of Dunean Mill, was shot and killed during an attempt to arrest a husband in a domestic dispute on Oct. 5, 1914. His killer was convicted of manslaughter at his second trial and sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Chief J.F. Holcombe

Greenville Police Chief James F. Holcombe, 53 was shot by a deranged man “while in a fit of supposed insanity” on May 11, 1915. The Chief and another officer “stormed” the house after the occupant had shot a fellow officer through a window. The Chief was expected to recover from his wounds but died unexpectedly on May 30 while still in the hospital. The killer was severely wounded by another officer and later died of his wounds.

Deputy Sheriff James A. Stewart

James Arthur Stewart, 33 a rookie Deputy Sheriff at Woodside mill, was shot and killed on Aug. 26, 1917 during a disturbance at a boarding house in Greenville. The man who shot him during a struggle was sentenced to life in prison only 14 days after the murder in an example of “speedy justice”.

Sheriff Hendrix Rector

Sheriff Hendrix Rector, 37, was shot and killed at a downtown garage by a local citizen after a personal dispute on July 4, 1919. The killer was charged with murder but two trials ended in a mistrial.

Officer Joseph L. Kitchens

Detective Joseph L. Kitchens, 43, was a 16 year veteran of the Greenville Police Dept. He and Alford M. Blair were plainclothes detectives. They were both shot and killed on October 5, 1919 when they raided a dice game in the Bucknertown area of northwestern Greenville. The killer escaped a massive manhunt and six months later, killed a police officer in Lynchburg, VA. He was executed in VA in 1921 for the murder there.

Officer Alford M. Blair

Detective Alford M. Blair, 42, was a 11 year veteran of the Greenville Police Dept. He and Joseph L. Kitchens were plainclothes detectives. They were both shot and killed on October 5, 1919 when they raided a dice game in the Bucknertown area of northwestern Greenville. The killer escaped a massive manhunt and six months later, killed a police officer in Lynchburg, VA. He was executed in VA in 1921 for the murder there.

Officer George S. Burroughs

Officer Burroughs, 48, a 12 year veteran or the Greenville Police Dept. was fatally shot on May 6, 1921, when he tried to arrest a man who was creating a disturbance. The killer was captured in 23 hours and was tried, convicted and sentenced to death within 72 hours of the murder. However, the conviction was overturned and he was sentenced to life after a second trial.

Constable James H. Howard

State Constable James Holland Howard was shot and killed during a raid on an illegal distillery in the “Dark Corner” of Greenville County on January 31, 1924. Two “moonshiners” were convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of Constable Howard. However, their sentences were commuted to life and both were later paroled and pardoned.

Officer Arthur F. Lackey

Motorcycle Officer Lackey 33, a 2 year veteran of the Greenville Police Dept. was fatally shot on March 3, 1925, as he searched a house for a man who had earlier that morning shot another Greenville officer. Officer Lackey died 24 hours later on March 4, 1925. The killer died the same day of gunshot wounds inflicted by another Greenville officer as he escaped from the house after shooting Officer Lackey.

Deputy Sheriff George M. Myers

Deputy Sheriff George M. Myers, 47, was shot and killed on September 22, 1926 by a man he attempted to arrest on a domestic warrant. The killer escaped from a mental hospital before his trial and was never captured.

Sheriff Sam D. Willis

Sheriff Samuel D. Willis, 36, was shot and killed at his home shortly after parking his car in the garage on June 11, 1927. Two years later Sheriff Carlos Rector and one of his deputies were convicted of hiring a hit man (who was also convicted) to kill Sheriff Willis. All three served prison terms.

Prison Guard Dock M. Garrett

Officer Garrett, 54, was hit over the head with a shovel and killed on Sept. 19, 1929 by an inmate during an escape from his road work gang. The killer was executed in 1931.

Deputy Sheriff Perry Paris

Greenville County Deputy Sheriff Perry Paris, 36, was hit by an auto as he chased a bootlegger across the “Spartanburg highway” on October 24, 1930. He became the first known Greenville County law enforcement officer to be killed in an on-duty traffic accident. The driver of the auto that struck Deputy Paris was charged with murder but the charges were eventually dropped.

Officer A.B. Hunt

Motorcycle Officer A. B. Hunt, 31, a 2 year veteran of the Greenville Police Dept. was shot and killed on May 1, 1932 by a gang of five bandits in a shootout with three Greenville Police Officers. Four of the five men were eventually captured but only one, the “shooter” was prosecuted. He plead guilty and received a life sentence.

Trooper E.D. Milam

Trooper Edwin Milam 25, a rookie trooper with the South Carolina Highway Patrol, was shot and beaten to death while trying to quell a disturbance at a Christmas party outside a church near Mauldin. The two killers were convicted, sentenced to death and were executed in 1935.

Trooper Albert T. Sealy

Trooper Albert T. Sealy was killed in an automobile accident while patrolling in Greenville County on Oct. 4, 1950.

Deputy Sheriff John Martin

Deputy Sheriff John Martin, 45, was shot and killed on Sept. 12, 1965. Deputy Martin was ambushed at a sand pit near Marietta S.C. just inside Greenville County. The killer had his wife lure the deputy to the sand pit on the pretext of a rock throwing incident. The killer was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. The killer’s wife and girlfriend got 7 and 9 years for “accessories after the fact”.

Chief Deputy Claude V. Southerlin Jr.

Chief Deputy Claude V. Southerlin Jr., 40, was killed in a traffic accident on Dec. 31, 1966. Deputy Southerlin was responding to help two other deputies who were chasing a vehicle that would not stop. Deputy Southerlin lost control of his vehicle on a rain slick highway and skidded into the path of an oncoming car.

Corrections Officer James P. Bagwell

Greenville County Jailer, James P. Bagwell, 62, was stabbed to death by an inmate on Aug. 2, 1970. Officer Bagwell was a Retired Pickens County Deputy. The killer was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. He later escaped and remained free for ten years until he was killed in a “drug shootout” in Boston on Feb. 9, 1986.

Officer Frank Chastain

Officer William Frank Chastain, 47, a 17 year veteran of the Greenville Police Dept. was shot and killed on Feb. 21, 1971. He was shot as he questioned a suspect in an alleged earlier shooting. The killer was wounded by Chastain and his partner and committed suicide when cornered by police.

Trooper Fulton H. Anthony

Trooper Fulton H. Anthony, 37, a 13 year veteran of the South Carolina Highway Patrol was shot and killed on March 10, 1973. Trooper Anthony was assisting another Trooper in transporting two subjects to the Greenville County Jail. The other Trooper was wounded by the gunfire but was able to return fire and killed the subject who was in the backseat of the patrol car.

Deputy Sheriff Rufus Frank Looper

Lt. Frank Looper III, 34, the head of the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office Vice and Narcotics division was shot and killed at his father’s car repair garage during an armed robbery on Jan. 31, 1975. His father was also shot and killed by the gunman. The killer was convicted and sentenced to death but that sentence was later reduced to life in prison by the South Carolina Supreme Court.

Officer Matthew M. Beacham Jr.

Officer Mathew M. “Monty” Beacham Jr., 40, a 16 year veteran of law enforcement in Greenville County died of a heart attack while chasing a juvenile who had escaped from the lobby of the Greenville County Law Enforcement Center on Sept. 20, 1983. The juvenile was captured later that same day but was not charged in the death of Officer Beacham.

Constable Valdon O. Keith

South Carolina State Constable Valdon Osborne Keith, 46, was shot and killed on Nov. 28, 1985 (Thanksgiving Day). Constable Keith was shot while riding in a Greenville County Sheriff’s Office patrol car that was trying to stop a car being driven by suspects wanted for the armed robbery of a local grocery store. The shooter was convicted and given life plus 25 years. However, he escaped from prison in 1994 and was then recaptured in 1996 in Morgan City, LA.

Deputy Sheriff William M. Banks

Greenville County Deputy Sheriff William (Bill) Mahon Banks, 28, was killed on June 9, 1989, when his patrol car was hit broadside by a pickup truck that ran a stop sign. The driver of the pickup was driving with his headlights off when he hit Deputy Banks. The driver of the pickup was convicted of Reckless Homicide and sentenced to 5 years in prison under the Youthful Offender Act.

Officer James Russell Sorrow

Officer James Russell Sorrow, 26, was shot and killed on Sept. 19, 1996 in an ambush while chasing a man wanted on outstanding warrants. The killer escaped the scene but was captured 6 days later after an extensive manhunt. The killer was convicted of Murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Sergeant Carlton T. Pope

Sergeant Carlton “Rick” Pope, 29, of the Fountain Inn Police Dept. was killed in an automobile accident on Oct. 9, 1996 as he was ending a high speed pursuit. His patrol car left the roadway and hit a patch of trees, and burst into flames. He was transported to a local hospital where he succumbed to serious head injuries he sustained when he was ejected from the vehicle. Sergeant Pope had served 6 years with the Fountain Inn Police Dept.

Deputy Sheriff Marcus L. Whitfield

Deputy Whitfield was shot and killed on August 13th, 1999, while he and two other deputies were attempting to break up a fight outside of a Waffle House restaurant. When the deputies responded to the fight, they witnessed a man firing a handgun into the ground and a second person being beaten by others. The man who was firing into the ground dropped his gun and attempted to flee. The deputies recovered the gun and struggled with the suspect. The other suspects then fled got into a car and began to leave the scene. Before doing so, they struck one deputy with the car, and an individual inside the car opened fire on the deputies. Deputy Whitfield was struck in the eye and killed. A second deputy was struck in the shoulder and wounded, but was able to return fire, striking the vehicle. The suspects in the vehicle were captured later in the day and charged with murder. Both suspects were 19-years-old.

Lance Corporal David T. Bailey

Lance Corporal David Travis Bailey, 27, was killed in a vehicle accident on April 5, 2000. Trooper Bailey was attempting to stop a vehicle that was speeding on I-85 in Greenville County when another vehicle pulled in front of his patrol car. He immediately attempted evasive action to avoid striking the second car and his vehicle went into a skid. The patrol car exited the highway, went down an embankment and struck a stand of trees. Trooper Bailey was pronounced dead at the scene. Trooper Bailey had served 6 years with the Highway Patrol.

Trooper First Class Eric F. Nicholson

Trooper Eric Francis Nicholson, 27, was shot and killed on Dec. 6, 2000 while attempting to stop a bank robbery suspect who was driving a motorcycle. The suspect shot Trooper Nicholson several times before he was able to exit his cruiser. The suspect fled the scene in another vehicle with an accomplice. The suspect was injured in a shootout later that day. The suspect was sentenced to death in Jan. 2002. Trooper Nicholson had served 2 ½ years with the Highway Patrol.

Sheriff Samuel C. Simmons

Sheriff Sam Simmons, a lifelong resident of Greenville County, died unexpectedly on September 4, 2002. Sheriff Simmons began his career with the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office 29 years earlier as a dispatcher. He worked his way through the Sheriff’s Office ranks, holding a number of supervisory and leadership positions, including that of Chief Deputy. As second in command to retired Sheriff Johnny Mack Brown, Sam was responsible for the day to day operations of the office. He also spent many hours in the classroom, teaching a variety of topics relating to law enforcement operations. When Sheriff Brown made his decision to retire, Sam began his quest to become the county’s top law enforcement officer. In November of 2000, he was elected Sheriff of Greenville County, and took the oath of office on January 2, 2001. Sheriff Simmons is survived by his wife Mona, his son Jon, and his daughter, Connie. He was taken from us swiftly, but his memory lives on. His legacy of professional law enforcement and integrity will never be forgotten.

Investigator Joe Sapinoso

Investigator Sapinoso was shot and killed on April 2nd, 2003, after being taken hostage when he arrived home from his shift. 

He was in uniform and exiting his patrol car when the suspect, who had been involved in a domestic disturbance with Investigator Sapinoso’s sister, approached him at gunpoint and disarmed him. Investigator Sapinoso had intervened in the previous incident as a deputy and as her brother. The suspect handcuffed Investigator Sapinoso with the deputy’s own handcuffs. He took him inside his home where he forced the deputy to call his father into the living room. The suspect held both men at gunpoint for several hours during a standoff with SWAT officers. At 0420 hours, the suspect told negotiators he was coming out of the house but then, without warning, shot and killed Investigator Sapinoso and his father. The suspect then surrendered. 

Investigator Sapinoso had served with the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office for 6 years, and was assigned to the White Collar Crime Unit. Joe always had a smile on his face and a big heart. He never had an unkind word to say about anyone. He is remembered and respected by his peers for his honorable service to the citizens of Greenville County, South Carolina. He is survived by his mother and sister.

Deputy Andrew Mazur

On Sunday, August 17, 2003 at 5:15pm, Deputy Andrew Mazur signed out over the radio that he was at #1 Columbia Ave with a suspicious person. Deputy Mazur began to scuffle with the person, who was later identified as Christopher Herring. During the scuffle Deputy Mazur radioed dispatch and requested emergency backup. During the scuffle, Deputy Mazur’s firearm was taken from him and Deputy Mazur was shot and was later pronounced dead at Greenville Memorial Hospital.

At 6:57am on Monday August 18, 2003, dispatch received a call from #7 Pinsley Circle that a suspect approached an employee asking for a drink. The employee relayed to dispatch that the suspect description matched that of Christopher Herring. The Sheriff’s Office SWAT and Tracking Teams were notified, and Christopher Herring was located in a grassy area off of Sulpher Springs Rd. When deputies encountered Christopher Herring, he fired several shots, and deputies returned fire where Christopher Herring was fatally wounded. Autopsy results showed that Herring died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Deputy Andrew Mazur began working for the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office in June 2001 where he was assigned to the Uniform Patrol Division. Deputy Mazur is survived by his wife.

.   .   

Captain Allan Saltmarsh

Captain Saltmarsh began his law enforcement career in April 1978 with the Belton Police Department and started with the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office in July 1982 working in the uniform patrol division. The following chart gives a brief outline of Captain Saltmarsh’s career with the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office:

  • Uniform Patrol Deputy 1982
  • Master Deputy/Investigator, Vice & Narcotics 1985
  • Master Deputy/Investigator, Violent Crimes 1987
  • Sergeant, Field Operations 1995
  • Sergeant, Center for Advanced Training 1997
  • Lieutenant, Center for Advanced Training 1998
  • Lieutenant, Field Operations 2000
  • Lieutenant, Criminal Investigation Division 2001
  • Captain, Selective Enforcement Division August 19, 2002
  • Captain, Administrative Services Division in October 2002

Captain Saltmarsh was promoted to his current rank on August 19, 2002. Captain Saltmarsh was assigned to the Administrative Services Division in October 2002 and was responsible for Public Affairs, Personnel/Recruitment, the Center for Advanced Training and Accreditation/Grants. Further responsibilities included Safe Communities, Office of Professional Standards, Accounting and Payroll, Office of Emergency Management, Supply and Property Control, E-911 and Crime Analysis.

Below are a few words from Sheriff Steve Loftis:

“I lost a dear friend and the community lost a great officer in the death of Captain Al Saltmarsh. Al died unexpectedly on June 27, 2005 at his home from a massive heart attack. Al was the Captain of the Administrative Services Division and was my second in command. Al devoted his career to the people of Greenville County and he will be missed.”

Officer Allen Lee Jacobs

Officer Allen Lee Jacobs, Greenville Police Officer, Allen Lee Jacobs was shot multiple times as he and other Community Response Team officers attempted to interview a known gang member at a home near Rebecca Street and Ackley Road, in the Nicholtown neighborhood. When the subject saw the officers he fled on foot onto a wooded path with officers in pursuit. He was chased into the backyard of a home where he fatally shot Officer Jacobs. He was able to continue fleeing but encountered other officers who had created a perimeter. He committed suicide before he could be taken into custody. Other officers rendered aid to Officer Jacobs, who was transported to the hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries. Officer Jacobs was a decorated United States Army veteran and served with the Greenville Police Department for 4-1/2 years. He is survived by his wife, two sons, daughter, parents, and one sister.

Sergeant William Conley Jumper

Sergeant William “Conley” Jumper, who most referred to as “Jumper” was killed in the line of duty on October 20, 2020, while conducting an investigation into a traffic stop on Interstate 85N, near White Horse Road. During the traffic stop, Sgt. Jumper and his partners on the GCSO Interdiction Team located narcotics and upon attempting to place the suspect, identified as 37 year-old, Ray Kelly, under arrest, a struggle ensued. During the struggle, Kelly managed to get into the driver’s seat of the vehicle, and in an effort to apprehend Kelly, Sgt. Jumper grabbed onto him and was dragged into lanes of traffic as the suspect accelerated across I-85. The vehicle was ultimately struck twice as Sgt. Jumper hung on in an attempt to keep the suspect from causing further harm to innocent motorists. Sgt. Conley Jumper was a man of integrity and passion. He was larger than life, both literally and figuratively. At over 6’4” he was a gentle giant who always wore a contagious smile. His uncanny leadership will be remembered by all the men and women who served alongside him during his 28 year career. He spent his last years on the GCSO Interdiction team where he received numerous accolades, including multiple distinguished service awards and the prestigious Russ Sorrow Award. Jumper was an officer who embodied the true essence of a public servant. He was a tireless worker and loving friend who had a heart of gold. Sgt. Jumper is survived by his wife Sarah Jumper and daughter Cat Jumper.