Pay Scale Prior Experience Non-GCSO
Pay Scale Prior Experience With GCSO
Pay Incentives: Deputy I & II
- Experience incentive will be based upon years of service
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish) 5% over starting pay
- Associate’s Degree (Law Enforcement Related) 5% over starting pay
- Bachelor’s Degree (Law Enforcement Related) 10% over starting pay
- Master’s Degree (Law Enforcement Related) 15% over starting pay
Note: Maximum of 20% with a combination of Master’s Degree and Bi-Lingual (Spanish)
South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy: Once employed as a Deputy Sheriff, you will attend the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy in Columbia for 8 weeks, the remaining 4 weeks will be completed at the Sheriff’s Office. Certified officers from other states may qualify for a six-week cross over training presented through the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
Overtime Pay: Any hours worked in excess of 80 hours (bi-weekly) is compensated at a rate of time and a half.
Holiday Pay: Any hours worked during one of the 11 scheduled paid county holidays is compensated at a rate of time and a half. In addition, you will be compensated for the 8 hours of scheduled holiday pay.
- Free Standard Medical Health Insurance for employee with participation in clinical health assessment.
- Vision Insurance.
- Free Dental Insurance for employee.
- Life Insurance (County provides $50,000, additional supplemental insurance can be purchased).
- State law enforcement retirement at 27 years service.
- Annual leave is accrued per pay period (accrual rate depends on years of service).
- Sick leave is accrued per pay period.
- Workers’ Compensation.
- Up to $1,500 tuition reimbursement for continuing education per year.
- Take home car program after successful completion of Field Training Program.
- Be of good moral character.
- At least 21 years of age.
- A SC resident when commissioned.
- A US citizen.
- Able to successfully complete a medical examination, physical abilities test, psychological assessment, drug screening, and background investigation.
- Able to successfully complete the required 12 week training program administered through the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
- Have a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Have a valid SC driver’s license.
- Have a good driving record.
- Have a clean criminal history.
- Have a satisfactory credit history.
- Must not have a Bad Conduct Discharge or Dishonorable Discharge from the military (if applicable).
Note: Applications will not be accepted for applicants who have experimented with illegal hard drugs within 5 years of the application date or 1 year for marijuana. Applicants must not have been convicted of a DUI within 5 years of the application date.